Monday, May 26, 2008

Cross Country: Part One

Ahhh, the first day of the great American road trip has come to a close. I find myself in Oklahoma City, getting ready to sleep, sans bed, in the empty apartment of a buddy who's driving along with us to Flagstaff tomorrow. Methinks a list will be the best way to recap this first leg of our adventure...
  1. This morning, when my hair dryer stopped, I realized that Emily had brilliantly thought to put on Hall and Oates (whom we have a deep, shared love for - how can you NOT love something so ridiculously cheesy?) The song that was playing... "She's Gone."

  2. As we were pulling out of Starkville, video camera rolling, I cranked up the song that started this whole fiasco. We both cried when "The Great Escape" reached its crescendo with the words "Drive, don't stay. I wanna see you get away."

  3. We stopped in Batesville to have breakfast at Cracker Barrel with my teeny, tiny friend (that would be McKissack). On the way out, we saw a car with a huge sticker that said, "Back to the bible or back to the jungle."

  4. At some point, I got used to the fact that I couldn't see anything in my rearview but mounds of luggage.

  5. For the most part, Arkansas and Oklahoma were pretty uneventful, save a nasty rainstorm and lots of people on motorcycles with no helmets.
Tomorrow brings Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, which adds up to about 12 hours of driving. I wonder what we'll see...

2 comments:

Hillary Jordan said...

Glad you're safe so far. Russell and I drove New Mexico back in Feb. to snow ski. Warning: uneventful!

Katy Agnew said...

I so wish I would have known that you were going to Flagstaff. Cliff has a cousin there that you probably could have stayed with. Oh well... Hope you are enjoying CA!!