Sunday, May 25, 2008

"They Do" and "How Could You?"

Well, she went and did it. Tied the knot. Latched on the old ball and chain. Renamed herself. As of last night, my beautiful sister became one half of a married couple, and I honestly couldn't be more thrilled about it. Although I usually get incredibly (and I stress the word "incredibly") cheesed out by wedding ceremonies, it was impossible to be cynical when it is so obvious that their being together was written in the stars long before either of them were born. Yes. I just said that. I'll wait for you to finish gagging. Besides, the wedding was in the sand overlooking the Gulf. What's not to love?

At any rate, she was simply stunning, which isn't hard considering she's hands-down the most gorgeous creature I've ever known. And had I been given the opportunity to select the perfect hubby for her, it would have been the one she chose for herself. So kudos, sis, on making such a stellar choice. End scene.

Post reception wasn't easy. I had to say goodbye to my grandmothers, aunts and uncles, which broke my heart because making people cry just sucks. And walking away from my four little cousins was horrible because I realize that they'll change so much between now and the next time I see them. I hope they don't forget me. I hope I don't forget how they laugh, or what their voices sound like or how it feels to wrap my arms around them. I gave the oldest her first guitar lesson last night. E minor. She promised to teach it to her little sister. They're gonna be rockstars. Mark my words.

And much to my surprise, my oldest cousin stopped me in the hall with a genuine look of confusion on his face to ask me how on earth I could go so far away. I guess sometimes I don't realize how much people care. It's nice to know they do. Even if it takes a major life event to get them to say it out loud.

No comments: