Wednesday, August 20, 2008

And Who's the Official Queen of Surprises?

Me. I am the official Queen of Surprises. I got crowned yesterday, as a matter of fact, after showing up at my parents' house in Golden, Mississippi, completely unannounced and unexpected. It was one of the most satisfying and fun days I have ever experienced. Let me recap the various reactions of unsuspecting family members:

My Mother: She was the first one I saw when I walked in. She gasped, then had a complete meltdown. She couldn't let go and she couldn't stop crying! It was awesome (not that she was crying, obviously, but that she was so shocked to see me).

My Daddy: He was taking a nap because he wasn't feeling well at all, so when Mother opened the bedroom door and I stepped in, he looked completely disoriented and unsure that he was really seeing me in his doorway. Mother actually had to say, "You're not dreaming. She's really here!" But he knew it was real when I started hugging on him!

My Aunt (who wins the award for "Best Reaction"): Mother called her to come by and get some dinner. I waited patiently for her to wander into the kitchen. When she saw me, she screamed, threw her hands up into the air, and started laughing/dancing her way across the kitchen. Between the screaming guffaws, and while she was holding on to me for dear life, she was saying, "How?" and "When?" It was the funniest thing ever.

My Grandmothers: The first one also wandered unsuspectingly into the kitchen, though it took her a few minutes to see me. When she realized what was going on, she hugged on me in shock, though not for long because she immediately turned to the culprits who knew about it and started firing questions. I don't think she ever really understood that nobody knew I was coming! And she wanted to know why no one told her!

My other grandmother, who has a "bad leg" (yes, the quotations are there for a reason), nearly jumped out of her recliner when she saw me come into her house. She moved quickly and with purpose. I'm pretty sure her leg's fine based on her reaction time. Had she been a swimmer, she would've beaten Phelps off the block. No doubt about it.

So now you see why I'm the Queen of Suprises. I've been awaiting this title for years, but this last shenanigan sealed the deal for sure. It's good to be home.

1 comment:

Katie B said...

Thank you. I almost sprayed my drink all over my laptop and nearly wet myself at the same time. Not because of the humorous post, but because of the quotations. Yes, the quotations are necessary and we know why. :) Now, if you will excuse me, I've got "the back ache". LOL