Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Go West, Young Woman

You read it right. West. Californ-I-A. The Golden State. The left coast. So-Cal. That's where this Southern girl is headed. The decision was a fairly easy one, considering the excitement I felt the second my feet hit the ground the first time I visited last August. I got so excited at seeing the palm trees lining the streets outside LAX that I actually squealed a little. And I hate girls who squeal.

I also went into a mad texting frenzy when I caught my first glimpse of the infamous Hollywood sign. I had to alert people immediately that seeing those big white letters almost made me pee in my pants. Yes, I really am that big of a dork. You have no idea.

For me, there really was no way to avoid falling in love with So-Cal. Not that I was trying. Everything I'd heard about it was true. It was intoxicating and mesmerizing and sexy and frightening and weird and gorgeous and I just could not get enough. (Wait a tic. I think I just finally explained my massive crush on AFI frontman Davey Havok. Interesting.)

Telling the family their baby girl is moving 2,000 miles away wasn't exactly a cake walk, but they're coming to grips with it and have turned out to be incredibly supportive. Except, of course, for my Memaw who just can't seem to stop crying. And my Granny Pete who informed me that she's praying I won't find a job. Then there's an aunt in South America who called at 9 a.m. one morning to tell me that if this isn't God's will for my life, it will end in disaster. And my first cousin thinks the family is losing me forever (hey, his words, not mine). But I'd say supportive as a whole...

My friends, on the other hand, are practically pushing me out the door. They understand that my heart's been elsewhere for some time now. They know my spirit is too big for Mississippi...at least for now. I don't know what I'll find in California, save a couple of really good friends who are cleaning house in anticipation of my arrival. God love 'em. I do love a clean house. And their giant umbrella.

There is much to be done in the next five weeks, including a moving sale, my sister's wedding and my first trip to Talladega. I feel a sudden need to do as many Southern things as I can possibly fit in before my departure. I have to learn to cook turnip greens, perfect my homemade biscuits, secure my great-grandmother's chocolate gravy recipe and drink cheap beer at a NASCAR race. It ain't gettin' much more Southern than that.

Then, come May 27, the real adventure will begin as I pack all that will fit in my car and point my Honda hood toward Hollywood.

No comments: