Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Drive, don't stay.

Those words are from what I recently declared to be my life's anthem. A song called "The Great Escape" by the Mississippi-based band Young Agent Jones. I had heard the song live a few times, but on a drive to Oxford one weekend, I actually heard the words clearly for the first time.
"Drive, don't stay. I wanna see you get away..."

Now, I'm not much of a crier. I hate crying, in fact. But when I heard those voices coming through the strained speakers of my Honda Accord, I cried like a Baptist sinner under strong conviction. I'd known for years that I wanted to get away from this place, but my decision got locked down the minute the tears started falling that day. And so this small-town Mississippi girl started planning my own great escape.

I don't quite know where I'm going. I certainly don't know what I'll find along the way. But I'm damn sure it's going to change my life. I couldn't be more ready.

No comments: